DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHIATRY
The Department of Psychiatry at Kasturba Hospital is dedicated to providing quality care to people who experience mental health problems. Personalized treatment programs are moulded to meet the needs of each individual. A team of psychiatrists, psychiatric social workers, and clinical psychologists work together to help patients. Patients benefit from the innovation and team philosophy found here. Along with clinical care, the department emphasizes excellence in teaching and research.
TREATMENTS & PROCEDURES
- Multidisciplinary evaluation of any mental health problem
- Clinical Psychopharmacology
- EEG monitored Elecroconvulsive therapy
- Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS)
- Individual Psychotherapy.
- Family and Marital therapy
- Group therapy
- Therapy for children and adolescents with emotional and behavioral disturbances
- Therapy for individuals with substance abuse / dependence
- Therapy for emotional disorders associated with physical illnesses.
- Home visits to enhance assessment and treatment
- Daily outpatient and inpatient services at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal.
- Evening consultation clinic (Daily OPDʼs) at Dr. TMA Pai Hospital, Udupi.
- 24 hours emergency care services.
- Consultation Liaison Psychiatric Services.
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatric services.
- De-addiction clinic for alcohol and other substance abuse.
- Specialists services at student support centre
Community mental health services
- State home for women (monthly visit)
- Vishwasadamane home for wandering mentally ill (monthly visit).
- Udyavara community mental health services (fortnightly)
- Karkala community mental health services (weekly)
- School Mental Health Programme
- Telepsychiatry services to PHC kandlur, PHC Shiroor, CHC Hebri and Basavakalyan, Bidar.
Clinics in Kasturba Hospital
- Psychodermatology Clinic in liaison with Department of Dermatology and Clinical Psychology
- Psycho-Oncology in liaison with Oncology
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinic in liaison with Department of Paediatrics
- Memory Clinic in liaison with Department of Neurology and Clinical Psychology
- Psychosexual Clinic in liaison with Department of Dermatology and Urology
- Sleep Clinic in liaison with Department of Pulmonary Medicine
- Metabolic clinic in liaison with Department of Endocrinology
- Psychiatry clinic at ASARE
HOMBELAKU PSYCHIATRIC REHABILITATION CENTRE:
Hombelaku is a medium to long term stay and rehabilitation centre for the chronically mentally ill. It is administratively and functionally integrated to the Kasturba Medical College, Manipal. The centre started functioning in January 2010. The centre is a 50 bedded facility for the chronically mentally ill. It is located in the university campus on a 1.5 Acre plot on a hillside facing a valley at Manipal. It provides a calm and soothing atmosphere to facilitate rehabilitative processes. The centre has separate residential wings for men and women. Each wing has 2 bedded rooms and dormitory facilities with common toilet and bath areas. Day care services are also provided at the centre.
- To provide the highest quality clinical care
- To provide a nurturing environment for healing
- To facilitate integration of the person into society by training in daily living skills, developing work habits, improving social skills and fostering decision making abilities
- To minimize disability
- To provide respite care
Professional inputs - The rehabilitation programs are planned and managed by an experienced team of psychiatrists, psychiatric social workers, clinical psychologists, psychiatric nurses and occupational therapists. The centre has a yoga instructor and a vocational trainer who provide their services. The centre has 24 hour supervision by psychiatrists, nurses and ward attendants.
It is the endeavor of the professionals working at Hombelaku to provide holistic, consistent and humane care to the residents. The treating team strives constantly to improve therapeutic input to facilitate the realization of the potential of the residents maximally.